|Photo: International Chocolate Salon
September ended on a decadent note in Los Angeles as the city hosted the 8th Annual Los Angeles Chocolate Salon on September 27. The event featured an award competition to honor top chocolatiers.
“The new vendors were quite good, especially Vivian Bomboneria, that had a super standout truffle,” judge Jane Park Smith, a former Ms. America, says. “That was a close second choice after Truffles N Toffee's cherry-almond goat [cheese] truffle.”
Another judge also raved about the Truffles N Toffee creation. “Perhaps because it was the raw goat chevre that differentiated it from the rest of the pack — complex and rich.”
Judges also kept in mind considerations that went beyond taste. “As a lover of fine chocolates and those who take care of the land it comes from, I must support Amano for their consciousness toward their cacao farmers, and I am sad to hear that their superb Morobe chocolate bar will be limited and gone too soon,” says Park Smith.
Amano Artisan Chocolate is one of several companies that garnered multiple accolades at the conference, proving that premium chocolatiers can excel across the board. See who rose to the top this year in each category.
- Best Dark Chocolate: Amano Artisan Chocolate
- Best Milk Chocolate: Valenza Chocolatier
- Best Truffle: CocoTutti
- Top Artisan Chocolatier: Mignon Chocolate Boutique
- Most Delicious Ingredient Combinations: CocoTutti
- Most Artistic Designs: CocoTutti, Marti Chocolatt, Fera'wyn's Artisan Chocolates
- Best Gift Set: CocoTutti, Fera'wyn's Artisan Chocolates, Marco Paolo Chocolates, Valenza Chocolatier, Vivian Bomboneria
- Most Luxurious Chocolate Experience: David Bacco Chocolatier
- Best Traditional Chocolates: Dove Chocolate Discoveries
- Best Flavored Chocolate: Amara Chocolate
- Best Dark Chocolate Bar: Amano Artisan Chocolate
- Best Milk Chocolate Bar: Amara Chocolate, Chuao Chocolatier, The Tea Room Chocolate Company
- Best Flavored Chocolate Bar: The Tea Room Chocolate Company
- Top Toffee in Salon: Truffles N Toffee
- Best Caramels: Amella Caramels
- Best in Salon: Valenza Chocolatier
- Best Presentation & Packaging: Vivian Bomboneria
- Best Organic or Fair Trade Products: The Tea Room Chocolate Company
- Most Gifted Chocolatier / Chocolate: Marti Chocolatt
- Maker: Vivian Bomboneria, Mignon Chocolate Boutique
- Best Comfort Chocolate or Snack Product: Plumeria Flours
- New Product Award: Choctal
- Best White Chocolate Truffle: Valenza Chocolatier
- Best White Chocolate Creation: Valenza Chocolatier, Vivian Bomboneria, Marti Chocolatt
Check out which chocolatiers picked up silver and bronze awards by visiting the Los Angeles Chocolate Salon website and clicking on the blue award badge in the right-hand sidebar.