Submissions open for 2016 B.E.S.T. in Baking
The International Baking Industry Exposition’s (IBIE) 2016 B.E.S.T. in Baking Program, presented at the show Oct. 8– 11, 2016 and sponsored by Snack Food & Wholesale Bakery, are all about Becoming Environmentally Sustainable Together (B.E.S.T.). The awards honor sustainability achievements in bakery ingredients, equipment, packaging and logistics. Also, three awards will go to bakeries attending IBIE: two categories of wholesale bakeries—one for high volume (over $50 million in annual sales) and one for low to intermediate volume (up to $50 million in annual sales)—and one retail bakery award.
Categories open to consideration for a 2016 B.E.S.T. in Baking Award include:
- Sustainably grown, sourced and processed ingredients aligned with natural and clean-label criteria
- Equipment that reduces environmental impacts while improving bakery efficiency
- Environmentally sustainable packaging materials
- Logistics solutions that reduce energy usage and environmental impact
- Wholesale and retail bakeries that have incorporated the above measures to lead the industry in environmental sustainability
The following represent key selection criteria for the 2016 B.E.S.T. in Baking Awards:
- Sourcing ingredients derived from renewable agricultural resources cultivated with environmentally sustainable farming practices
- Reducing the distance required to transport products, ingredients, packaging and/or equipment
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions and the overall carbon footprint by replacing traditional lighting with energy-efficient alternatives; updating heating, ventilation and air conditioner systems; updating refrigeration and other equipment; reducing plant space requirements; and lowering plant air requirements
- Increasing the amount of recyclable materials used
- Reducing landfill impact
- Reducing water usage through use of efficient appliances, fixtures and fittings, as well as introduction of water-conserving landscaping outdoors
- Advances in use of packaging with improved environmental dynamics, including reduced material usage, reduced distribution impact, and use of recyclable, renewable and/or compostable materials
- Reducing overall energy usage through active monitoring; efficient design and construction; use of efficient appliances, systems and lighting; use of renewable and clean sources of energy, generated on-site or off-site; and other innovative strategies, including LEED certification
Judging of all B.E.S.T. in Baking submissions and nominations will be overseen by an independent panel governed by IBIE organizers.
Winners of the 2016 B.E.S.T. in Baking awards will gain significant exposure through IBIE-related press and on-site exposure at the IBIE show. Coverage of the winners form the central focus of a dedicated B.E.S.T. in Baking report as part of the September 2016 issue of Snack Food & Wholesale Bakery, distributed at IBIE and sent out digitally to the online Snack Food & Wholesale Bakery audience. The winners will also receive exposure in the B.E.S.T. in Baking Lounge.
To submit or nominate ingredients, equipment, logistics technology, packaging or a bakery for a 2016 B.E.S.T. in Baking Award, visit www.ibie2016.com or www.snackandbakery.com/IBIE2016 and look for the B.E.S.T. in Baking Awards link.