Company: Fruit d'Or
Ingredient Snapshot: With its 2018 major partnership in Bleuets Mistassini Ltée, Fruit d'Or became one of the largest wild blueberry suppliers and the first to market with a clean, field-to-table, low-bush whole-food wild blueberry powder. After spending time and attention with its new partners, Fruit d’Or has announced that its Canadian-grown wild low-bush blueberry supply is now fully integrated into its systems.
“We are ramping up production to accommodate increased demand,” confirms Stephen Lukawski, director of global business development and sales for Fruit d'Or Nutraceuticals. Both Blue Organic Naturelle wild blueberry and Blue d’Or Conventional whole-food wild blueberry powders are DNA tested for authenticity, non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free, Kosher, and contain no additives, excipients or carriers. In addition, Fruit d’Or will soon be launching non-GMO wild blueberry juice powder that is 100 percent water soluble and carrier-free. Fruit D’Or will display its wild blueberry at its booth # C138 at Supplyside East in New Jersey in April, 2019.
Lukawski explains that Fruit d’Or took the necessary time to ensure they are consistently delivering blueberry powders standardized for total polyphenols and with a guaranteed potency for anthocyanins. “We have polyphenol fingerprinted our blueberry ingredients and have done everything to try to protect our blueberries’ bioactives. For example, Blue Naturelle and Blue d’Or are an authentic purple blue color. While it’s possible to process blueberries faster than we are, doing so alters the bioactives and changes the color to brown causing degradation. Our proprietary drying process preserves the integrity, flavor and aroma as Mother Nature intended.”
A substantial body of scientific research exists on wild blueberries’ health benefits for children and adults. Considered a super-antioxidant and King of Blueberry, wild blueberries are associated with eye health, oral health and enhanced cognitive performance. Evidence shows they also promote cardiovascular health, supporting healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
“Fruit d’Or's wild blueberry whole-food and juice powders are ideal lifestyle products that can be taken daily for overall wellness,” says Lukawski. “Blue Naturelle and Blue d’Or whole-food wild blueberry powders are not extracts. They are whole-food, full-spectrum nutraceutical powders specifically designed for supplements, smoothies, baking products, dairy, cosmetics and pet foods. Either one would be ideal to blend with other superfood ingredients such as hemp, rice or pea proteins, for sports nutrition products for example. Or they could be packaged on their own as a great tasting beneficial superfood.”
Lukawski outlines some of Fruit d’Or’s many seed-to-table advantages, which make Fruit d’Or wild blueberry conventional and organic whole-food powders superior to other options.
- Higher anthocyanin potency. Not all blueberry is of the same quality or same species. “Low-bush wild blueberries, known as Vaccinium Angustifolium, are naturally richer in these flavonoids and offer more flavor than their more abundant, cultivated high-bush blueberry variety known as Vaccinium Corymbosum.”
- Guaranteed supply and pricing all year round. “The problem with the development of wild blueberry products in the dietary supplement industry has been limited supply of wild blueberry powder. No supplier could guarantee availability or maintain consistency of quality. As a result, pricing varied and quality varied from lot to lot. Fruit d’Or is now in a position to meet the demand and keep pricing set so manufacturers can develop new wild blueberry products.”
- Proprietary drying process. “Fruit d’Or dries its wild blueberries at a low temperature for a longer period of time. It takes 75 lbs. of fresh blueberries to produce one pound of wild blueberry powder. This helps to maintain and protect anthocyanin and polyphenol content so we can standardize these biomarkers that are naturally occurring in the powder. Maintaining standardization of biomarkers is critical in the drying process.”
- Gentle milling and careful storage. “Blueberries can easily ferment after harvesting and spoil, so steps are critical to maintaining the active biomarker levels in every lot. Milling is so important to maintain integrity and prevent degradation of color and maintain active biomarkers.”
- Each lot is standardized. “Fruit d’Or is the first to fingerprint and market standardized whole-food blueberry powder in the nutraceutical industry for anthocyanins and polyphenols. Standardizing the biomarkers is necessary so they can be linked to outcome studies.”
- TRU ID tested. “Fruit d’Or is a TRU ID Certified Partner, adding to its already extensive testing methods to authenticate and ensure the purity and efficacy of its farm-to-table blueberry ingredients. TRU ID is the world’s first certification program founded on cutting-edge DNA biotechnology, in support of businesses seeking authentic ingredients.”
- Supplier testing program. “Fruit d’Or is the first company to launch a Blueberry Quality Assurance (BQA) program and develop the BQA seal that ensures purity, safety and efficacy.” Under this quality assurance program, Fruit d’Or wild blueberry ingredients will undergo the following tests:
- Fingerprint analysis for identification and quantification of anthocyanins and polyphenols via MALTI-TOF
- DNA sequential bar coding for authenticity
- Analysis for adulteration via MALTI-TOF
- Standardization of biomarkers such as anthocyanins and polyphenols
This testing is done in collaboration with Dr. Christian G. Krueger, research scientist and CEO of Complete Phytochemical Solutions, LLC., and the University of Wisconsin. “This analysis identifies the integrity of the starting wild blueberry powder, identifying and quantifying active biomarkers, and preventing adulteration of the blueberry.”
Lukawski concludes, “Similar to what we have successfully done with our science-based cranberry ingredients, we have taken the necessary steps to assure safety, purity and efficacy of Fruit d’Or wild blueberry, whole fruit powders which are in line with consumer demand for traceability, transparency, the least amount of processing and maximized performance. All of this leads to turnkey solutions for formulators, as it enables them to communicate this farm-to-finish product story as their own.”
To acquire samples or to learn more about formulating with Fruit d’Or’s wild blueberry ingredients, visit www.qualityblueberry.com.