Company: Tree Top
Ingredient Snapshot: Tree Top has announced the addition of a new fruit ingredient to its extensive plant-based portfolio: Drum Dried Pumpkin Flake Powder. The powder is made from nutrient-dense pumpkins, grown in the fertile soil of Washington. Shortly after harvest, pumpkins are pureed and dried without any preservatives. Pumpkin powder is a versatile ingredient that naturally enhances flavor and color. It can be used in multiple food and beverage applications from smoothies and soups to baked goods and pet foods.
“Pumpkin is a natural fit with our other wholesome fruit ingredients,” says Jeannie Swedberg, director of customer development and marketing, Tree Top. “We’re seeing growing demand for plant-based ingredients with functional benefits. Pumpkin is not only sweet and delicious, it’s packed with an impressive array of phytonutrients and antioxidants that are associated with wellness benefits, such as immune and digestive health. Rather than just a seasonal ingredient, we see pumpkin becoming valued and used as a year-round super fruit.”
Pumpkin powder is full of vital nutrients. It contains high levels of immune-boosting nutrients, including vitamin C and vitamin A. There’s also folate and iron, which can help strengthen the immune system by supporting physical barriers, such as the skin, and boosting production of antibodies. The dietary fiber in pumpkin is a prebiotic that supports digestive, and ultimately, immune health.
A rich source of antioxidants, pumpkin contains alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, and beta-cryptoxanthin, which can combat free radicals and prevent cell damage. Studies show that the antioxidants in pumpkin powder may also help lower the likelihood of certain cancers. And the carotenoids, which give pumpkin its bright yellow-orange color, may help reduce the risk of eye disease.
In food and beverage development, here are some of the benefits of using Tree Top Dried Pumpkin Flake Powder:
- Naturally enhances flavor and color
- Low calorie, low fat, nutrient dense
- Replacement for wet pumpkin puree
- May be used as healthy alternative to flour and sugar
- GMO free, gluten-free, plant-based, kosher
- Easy to reconstitute, just add water; allows viscosity to be controlled
- Easily blended into dough matrix or filling
- Shelf-stable, long lasting in ambient temperatures
- Finished products can be labeled “made with real fruit”
- May be labeled as pumpkin powder or dried pumpkin on ingredient statement
- Low-cost transportation and storage
- Versatile; useful in numerous applications
To get samples and find out more details about the new ingredient, click here.