Tortilla Industry Association members will gather in Southern California May 18–19, as TIA moves its Annual Convention & Trade Exposition to Harrah’s Resort Southern California in Valley Center. Situated just 45 miles south of downtown San Diego, the luxurious new venue will offer show-goers numerous amenities, including a world-class casino, multiple restaurants, three swimming pools and two golf courses. A special TIA discount rate of $139 per night is available with the TIA group code S05TOR6.
The resort will also be the site of the sold-out exhibition, TIA education sessions and networking opportunities and leisure and entertainment activities.
TIA’s annual golf tournament will be held one day prior to the convention, May 17, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Woods Valley Golf Club in Valley Center. The tournament kicks off with a shotgun start at 11 a.m. Transportation will be provided to and from the course. The registration fee is $99 per person.
Non-golfers can participate in a wineries tour in nearby Temecula from noon to 5 p.m. Lunch and transportation will be provided; tickets can be purchased when registering for the convention. Following the tournament and wineries tour, attendees can relax with friends and colleagues at a poolside welcome reception from 6:30–8 p.m.
The exhibit hall will be open from noon to 5 p.m. on Wednesday, May 18, and from noon to 4 p.m. on Thursday, May 19. Nearly 50 companies will display their latest technology, services, equipment, components, ingredients, packaging and systems for the tortilla industry.
Education sessions will be held in the morning on both Wednesday, May 18, and Thursday, May 19. At press time, the slated topics and speakers for May 18 are follows:
- <ul><li>“Business Succession and Wealth Retention for Family Members” by Irma Quinones, New York Life Insurance
- <li>A commodities session by Carlos Borquez, Trilateral Inc.
- <li>“PHO Replacement Alternatives (Session One)” by Abel Lopez, Bunge Oils
The slated topics and speakers for May 19, are follows:
- “The Role and Uses of Enzymes in Tortilla Production” by Dr. Dilek Austin, Novozymes USA
- “Legislative Issues TIA Members Must Be Aware Of” by Keith Nelson, LobbyIt.com
- “Immigration Update: The IMAGE Program” by Carmen Jacobsen, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- “Can Tortilla Training Be Done Effectively Online?” by Dr. Kirk O’Donnell, Bakers Growth LLC
- “PHO Replacement Alternatives (Session Two)” by Johari Minal, Malaysian Palm Oil
Also on May 19, TIA will hold a pre-banquet reception at 6:30 p.m. in the hotel’s foyer. The annual entertainment banquet will run from 7–9 p.m. Admission to the event is included with full registrations and can be purchased separately.
The entertainment banquet will feature the presentation of the TIA Hall of Fame awards and TIA scholarships. After the presentations, comedian and actor Paul Rodriguez will entertain the audience with his unique stand-up routine.
For more information about the convention or to register, visit www.tortilla-info.com.