IFT17: ‘Go with Purpose’
IFT17, supported by the Institute of Food Technologists, will take place June 26–28 at the Sands Expo in Las Vegas. This year’s event has the theme of “Go with Purpose” and will include a lineup of world-renowned speakers. IFT regularly draws over 20,000 attendees from over 90 countries visiting with over 1,200 exhibitors. The extensive practical IFT education program includes over 100 sessions.
Notable sessions at IFT17 will include:
- The premiere of the film “Food Evolution” from Academy Award nominated director Scott Hamilton Kennedy and narrated by noted science communicator Neil deGrasse Tyson (and made possible by IFT), which explores the GMO debate, traveling from Hawaiian papaya groves to banana farms in Uganda and the cornfields of Iowa—enlisting experts and icons of the GMO struggle, such as Mark Lynas, Alison Van Eenennaam, Jeffrey Smith, Andrew Kimbrell, Vandana Shiva, Robert Fraley, Marion Nestle and Bill Nye, as well as farmers and scientists from around the globe—with a panel discussion to follow the screening, featuring commentary from director Scott Hamilton Kennedy, producer Trace Sheehan and special guests featured in the film
- A discussion on “Processed Food: The Good, the Bad and the Science,” moderated by Tamar Haspel, columnist with The Washington Post, with a panel discussion featuring historians, doctors, scientists and food company executives discussing the controversy and pros and cons of processed food, whether boon to civilization or diabolically delicious creations fueling obesity and disease
- A presentation by Andrew Pelling, Ph.D., scientist, entrepreneur and renowned TED senior fellow, professor and Canada Research Chair at the University of Ottawa, designed to challenge curiosity and inspire creativity
- An interactive presentation on “Design Thinking for Food: A Groundbreaking Pilot Course to Develop the Next Generation of Food Innovators” featuring Lauren Shimek, founder and CEO, Food.Tech.Design
- An interactive presentation on “Consumer Trends in 2017” exploring the observation that what people want, and what they really do, are often at odds, led by Silvia Dumitrescu, senior vice president, communications and marketing, International Food Information Council
On Trend by IFT, presented in conjunction with Innova Market Insights, will showcase innovative products and services while presenting relevant solutions related to top industry trends. The On Trend by IFT area will be located outside the exhibit hall, next to the IFT booth, and will feature five key trends:
- Clean Supreme—Clean and clear label is the new global standard. The demand for total transparency increases marketing efforts incorporating the entire supply chain into a product’s branding.
- Plant Powered Growth—As plant “milks,” meat alternatives and vegan offerings have moved rapidly moved into mainstream, consumers are looking for innovative options to take the inherent benefits of plants into their daily lives.
- A Sweeter Balance—The consumer quest to balance taste and health is driving profound innovation in new product development. Sugar is under pressure, but it’s still the key ingredient that delivers the sweetness and great taste that consumers seek.
- New Age Snacking—Explore new avenues and opportunities for snack foods. Where is innovation occurring and which on-trend ingredients can be used to capitalize on snack market opportunities?
- Gut Health New Product Development—Dig into probiotics, prebiotics and digestive health, as well as developments in fermented foods and the creation of new products that address related health concerns.
IFT17 will also offer its Career Center Live, which combines informal networking opportunities for potential job seekers and hiring companies, as well as formal prescheduled interview opportunities for companies with immediate hiring needs (register online via the IFT Career Center website).
Discounted hotel rooms for IFT17 have been secured at The Venetian, The LINQ and Harrah’s hotels.
For complete details and to register, visit www.iftevent.org.