Packaging Snapshot: ORBIS Corporation recently developed and launched Proliant, a fire-retardant plastic material for use in select plastic pallets. It is approved by Factory Mutual Research Corporation (FM) in meeting fire rating requirements equivalent to wood pallets. These pallets are traditionally known to meet Factory Mutual Insurance standards for commodity classification of idle plastic pallets and NFPA 13/2000 requirements.
Along with FM approval, Proliant also is compliant with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), providing the necessary compliance for food and beverage processors that require a fire-retardant pallet solution for their plants. Regulatory compliance evaluation was conducted with Proliant in accordance with the USA FDA food contact regulations (21 CFR citations), food contact notifications, Threshold of Regulations (TOR), generally recognized as safe (GRAS) inventory and prior-sanctioned lists.
ORBIS first offered fire-retardant pallets in 2005, but now offers the largest selection, around 19 different designs, of FM-approved fire-retardant plastic pallets, all available in Proliant. Proliant is a halogen- and bromine-free material that is fully recyclable. These pallets offer improved hygiene, durability, strength and rackability while outperforming alternative pallets, resulting in a lower cost per trip. ORBIS pallets made with Proliant:
- Help companies meet their insurance requirements while maintaining performance characteristics
- Are available in rackable and stackable styles, in footprints from 36" x 40" to 48" x 48"
- Reduce product damage that can occur with splinters and nails from wood pallets
- Feature nonporous plastic that is easy to keep clean and sanitary to meet food and beverage supply chain regulations
- Feature dimensional consistency for reliable stacking and trailer optimization
- Offer a long service life, which can lower trip costs over the life of the plastic pallet
“Our years of experience working with fire-retardant pallets led us to formulate our own proprietary material to meet our customers’ needs,” said Ryan Roessler, product manager at ORBIS. “ORBIS pallets manufactured with Proliant maintain the characteristics demanded in fast-paced and highly monitored industries, such as food and beverage, automotive, pharmaceutical and retail. Additionally, its FDA compliance adds tremendous value for food plants.”
ORBIS is the only North American pallet manufacturer to offer multiple FM-approved fire-retardant pallets in a wide variety of footprints and styles. With Proliant, ORBIS has enhanced its pallet solutions to continue making supply chains safer and more sustainable.
For more information, please visit www.orbiscorporation.com.