Fleischmann's Yeast to celebrate 150 years of history in Fleischmanns, NY
Founders' Day activities will commemorate oldest baker's yeast company in the U.S.
AB Mauri North America will mark the 150th anniversary of its iconic brand, Fleischmann’s Yeast, June 8, 2019, at a Founders’ Day event in Fleischmanns, New York.
The village of Fleischmanns will serve as Founders’ Day host for its namesake brand, celebrating a bygone era in American history with activities from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on June 8 that include:
- A parade featuring firetrucks, area Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops and local marching bands
- An 1890s-period baseball game featuring the Mountain Athletic Club Vintage Base Ball squad
- A baking competition judged by celebrated baker Dan Leader from Bread Alone Bakery in nearby Lake Katrine, New York and author of the forthcoming book titled Living Bread
- Live musical acts and nostalgic games and activities for the entire family
- Local craft beer and barbecue vendors
- Display of Fleischmann’s @ 150: Still The One – a book recently published for the 150th anniversary of Fleischmann’s Yeast
Fleischmanns, New York, was named after the Fleischmann family – longtime summer residents and benefactors of the area. At one time, the family had a 160-acre property consisting of multiple mansions and numerous outbuildings. Today, only one of the family’s original homes dating back to the 1880s remains. The 5,000-square-foot property—now known as Spillian—welcomes visitors from around the world and is a prime example of a 19th-century Catskills retreat. Spillian will host a reception and panel on Friday, June 7, from 6-8 p.m. where panelists will discuss the area’s history, the Fleischmann family and local connections to baseball.
“There is no better place to celebrate the rich history of Fleischmann’s Yeast than in the location bearing its name,” said Rick Oleshak, vice president of marketing, AB Mauri North America. “Baking is a part of the fabric of American history, and we’re excited to honor the family who started one of the most iconic food brands with the residents and visitors of this quintessential Catskills community.”
The Fleischmann’s brand is the country’s oldest baker’s yeast and the first standardized commercial yeast in the U.S. Introduced in 1868 by enterprising Austrian brewer, Charles Fleischmann and his brother Maximilian, Fleischmann’s Yeast is now part of AB Mauri’s portfolio of products.
“The Village of Fleischmanns is in a beautiful part of New York and an area rich in history,” said Michelle Sidrane, chair of the event and a leadership member of Fleischmanns First. “If you’ve never been to this area or want to visit again, Founders’ Day will be the perfect opportunity to experience everything our wonderful community has to offer.”
More information and a full line up of Founders’ Day activities can be found here.