Nellson Neutraceutical opens nutrition bar manufacturing facility in Ontario, CA
Nellson Nutraceutical, LLC (Nellson), a leading North American formulator and manufacturer of branded and private label nutritional bar and functional powder products, has announced the opening of its new nutrition bar manufacturing plant in Ontario, California. The state-of-the-art 300,000 sq. ft. facility offers the latest bar processing technology and capabilities available, and strengthens Nellson’s market-leading position in nutritional bar co-manufacturing.
“Today we are thrilled to officially open our new Ontario, California facility,” said Jamie Better, chief executive officer of Nellson. “This project began in 2016 when we decided it was better to build from scratch rather than retrofitting our aging facility in Irwindale, California. Our goal was to construct a world-class nutrition bar facility that would provide our brand customers unmatched R&D expertise and the latest process and manufacturing innovations for nutrition bars as well as a first-rate working environment for our employees. This is the first new facility of its kind in North America in at least the last 16 years, and is an important strategic investment for Nellson, as we gear up to meet customers’ rapidly evolving demands in a dynamic nutrition market across multiple segments, including sports performance, wellness, weight management, functional and medical nutrition.”
“The Nellson team is extremely excited to share new capabilities and technologies with our brand partners as we work together to create some of the industry’s latest on-trend nutrition bar formats,” said Jean Filion, Nellson’s chief operating officer officer and president Nellson Canada. “Our new R&D Collaboration Center enhances our ability to work with brand partners on the next generation of bars, providing custom formulation, benchtop replication, and consumer samples and testing.”
“In selecting the Ontario site, it was critically important to us that the new facility be within a short drive from our existing location, as we wanted to retain our experienced workforce and all their bar-making expertise,” said Better. “We’re delighted that over 80 percent of our Irwindale employees agreed to transfer to Ontario. This facility sets a new standard in nutrition bar manufacturing. Our investment of about $70 million in the Ontario facility, along with our recent acquisition of Genysis Brand Solutions are the latest steps in Nellson’s aggressive transformation under the ownership of Kohlberg & Company, and reflect our determination to be the co-manufacturing partner of choice for the leading brands in the nutritional bar and functional powder marketplace.”
Nellson’s new Ontario facility at a glance:
- The 300,000 sq. ft. facility offers a streamlined layout with segregated lines—providing brand confidentiality, allergen control, food safety, efficient sanitation, as well as flexible production capabilities
- In-line process capabilities enabling new formats, such as slabbed and extruded bites, triple layer bars and unique custom shapes
- In-line dual mixing capabilities to optimally blend a range of ingredients, from very fragile cereal or crisp-based layers to very dense high protein doughs
- New high-speed packaging capabilities to support on-trend consumer demands
Multiple pack-outs on a single line for optimal efficiency and increased flexibility
- State-of-the-art R&D Collaboration Center supports customer formulation, commercial scale-up and consumer testing
- Smart technology and energy efficient systems to conserve energy, water and other resources, with programs to maximize recycling and reduce waste
- Expansion space to support future growth
Visit www.nellsonllc.com for more information.