Ingredient Snapshot: Lycored has re-named all its colors for food and beverages as part of a re-branding strategy that emphasizes simplicity and user-friendliness. The new names communicate the qualities of the colors and their benefits to customers rather than their origins.
The company offers a rich portfolio of super-stable food and beverage colorants sourced naturally from carotenoids. Its lycopene-based range of reds, derived from tomatoes and previously called Tomat-O-Red, will now be grouped into four new color families.
Designed to be memorable, the names are all simple and constructed from two words that are either alliterative or rhyme. Each communicates shade as well as product performance benefits such as stability:
- SteadfastScarlet: A red with an orange direction (Steadfast meaning resolutely fixed in place and unwavering)
- ResilientRed: A “more red” red (“Resilient” meaning not easily damaged)
- ResoluteRuby: A darker red (“Resolute” implying firmly resolved or set in purpose)
- ConstantCrimson: A red with a blue/purple direction (“Constant” referring to color that does not change)
Similarly, there are three new colour families for Lycored’s range of yellows and oranges, sourced from natural BetaCarotene and previously called Lyc-O-Beta.
- OrangeOvation: Orange like the citrus fruit (“Ovation” referring to celebration or applause for a great performer)
- GoldHold: Gold, associated with precious metal (“Hold” affirms a robust capability to stay firm)
- StellarYellow: Communicating the star-like quality of yellow, as well as stellar performance
Christiane Lippert, head of marketing, food, at Lycored, said: “We’re excited to be giving our products names that are creative and memorable as well as simple and intuitive. Our starting point was a principle of ‘customer-in’ rather than ‘organization-out’, so we’ve chosen options that reflect the way companies use our products based on color shade, functionality, and the value they get from them. These new names powerfully communicate the functional benefits and premium quality offered by our rich portfolio of solutions for foods and beverages.”