Company: Swiss Rösti
Introduced: March 2019
Suggested Retail Price: $5.99 (4-pack)
Product Snapshot: At the recent Specialty Food Association’s Winter Fancy Food Show in San Francisco, a potato snack premiered that is a good source of protein and is gluten-free, soy free, low in cholesterol with a vegan option and free of trans fat. Born at the Oregon State University Food Innovation Center, the Swiss Rösti or “rööschti” is a culinary crafted side dish, appetizer or party pleaser that pays homage to the nutritious and delicious vegetables of the Pacific Northwest where it was created.
The modern day Rösti comes in savory flavors in catchy categories ranging from “American Homestead” and “Gourmet Classics” to “Culinary Exploration.” For those looking for a healthier alternative to its greasy potato counterparts, Rösti is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Once you get a taste of the warm and delicious goodness, you will be asking for more.
“We expect that Rösti will be embraced by everyone in the family,” say founders Steve and Lory Caldwell. Steve is a self-proclaimed foodie who has been a recreational chef since he was 5. He picks his ingredients with a “less is more” attitude, saying, “I love rich flavor profiles that are achieved with minimal ingredients that everyone can pronounce like cheese, milk, salt, potatoes, onions and enzymes,” he shares.
Rösti was originally a breakfast dish that was simple and inexpensive to prepare by farmers in the 1800’s in the Canton of Bern who worked hard to put food on their tables. The French name Rösti Bernois makes direct reference to the origins of the dish. Some compare it to a fritter or a potato latke.
Current flavors include:
- Swiss Raclette: Delicious, creamy and distinctly Swiss. Potatoes, raclette cheese, skimmed cow’s milk and enzymes. It comes from the mountain regions of Switzerland and France.
- Chili Cheese: This is a nod to the Wild West. Chickpeas, poblano and green peppers with extra sharp cheddar cheese. Chili cheese in every bite.
- Baked Potato: Crispy crunch filled with everything you love about a baked potato including sour cream, cream cheese and fresh chives!
- Fig & Goat Cheese: The combination just works. Pair this with a nice glass of wine or as a dessert with coffee or an aperitif.
- Curry Lentil: Indian Spiced filling with sweet potatoes, coconut milk, peas and carrots with exotic turmeric, coconut milk and cardamom. Delicious and Vegan.
The family-owned company plans to roll out Croque Monsieur (black forest ham/gruyere cheese) All-American (bacon cheeseburger) and a Bacon Jalapeno Popper soon.
Rösti is sure to delight food connoisseurs. Restaurant and F&B Directors are testing them as happy hour finger foods as they are communal and culinary appetizer options. Caterers see them as substantial hors d'oeuvres for cocktail receptions.
Discover the filling and healthy wonders of Swiss Rösti at Market of Choice, New Seasons, Zupans and Green Zebra. The 4-packs have an MSRP of $5.99.