Kemin complete suite of tortilla solutions
Kemin Food Technologies team helps tortilla manufacturers deliver great tasting, better performing and longer lasting tortillas
Company: Kemin Food Technologies
Ingredient Snapshot: Kemin Industries, a global ingredient manufacturer focused on improving the quality of life for more than half the world’s population, has been expanding its line of tortilla solutions to provide tortilla manufacturers with a complete suite of products, including mold inhibitors, dough conditioners, tortilla softeners and enzymes. Kemin unveiled the new and expanded line at the Tortilla Industry Association’s (TIA) Annual Convention on May 10 and 11, 2019 in Las Vegas.
The complete suite of solutions helps tortilla manufacturers create appealing, high-quality tortillas—including corn and flour—as well as flatbreads and more. From complete drop-in solutions and premixes to individual functional ingredients—including enzymes and mold inhibitors—Kemin offers a full portfolio of products available in liquid and dry variants and clean-label, organic and non-GMO options.
“We are excited to showcase our range of complete drop-in solutions and premixes at TIA 2019,” said Courtney Schwartz, marketing director for Kemin Food Technologies – Americas. “Tortilla manufacturers face a host of challenges and concerns, including food safety, shelf life, texture, appearance, processing and consumer appeal of their products. Not only do our solutions answer safety, textural and processing challenges, they can also help tortilla manufacturers meet label-claim goals. Kemin offers cleaner label, non-GMO and a wide variety of naturally sourced options that support consumer demand for and growth of organic and Non-GMO Project-verified tortilla varieties.”
To help manufacturers achieve “claimability” with label claims that give consumers what they are seeking, Kemin provides tortilla formulation expertise and an extensive portfolio of shelf-life solutions for corn and flour tortillas, including:
- Complete drop-in solutions containing blends of several functional ingredients that each contribute quality characteristics and solve manufacturers’ challenges, with support that includes:
- Raw material inventory management
- New ingredient updates with optimized pricing
- Proper order of addition for each ingredient
- Precisely measured ingredient quantities
- In-depth critical analysis of each batch
- Up-to-date compliance with most regulatory changes
- Continuous improvement from in-house R&D support
- Enzyme, emulsifier and gum blends with functional minor/micro ingredient solutions for leavening, softening and preservation of tortillas
- Mold inhibitors in an industry-leading line of liquid and dry solutions, which are propionic-acid-based synergistic blends that control microbes to prevent spoilage and mold growth in tortillas. Label-friendly solutions are also available to help meet consumer demand for clean labels.
“The Kemin suite of solutions helps tortilla manufacturers control microbes, preventing spoilage and mold growth in tortillas,” said Anita Srivastava, Ph.D., CFS., senior product development manager – bakery applications, Kemin Food Technologies – Americas. “Our ingredient solutions, combined with the continuous R&D support and our in-house tortilla pilot plant, will help customers speed up commercialization and stay up to speed and in compliance with regulatory changes. We also remain current with new ingredient trends, helping tortilla manufacturers meet label goals to ensure their success in a demanding marketplace.”