The Grain Foods Foundation has announced the addition of Stephen Lindemann, PhD, to its Scientific Advisory Board. Dr. Lindemann is an associate professor in the Department of Food Science and a courtesy professor in the Departments of Nutrition Science and Biological Sciences at Purdue University.
As a researcher with a rare combination of expertise in pathogenic bacteria, innate immunity, and molecular microbial ecology, Dr. Lindemann has been a powerful resource for the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Army, who have both been supporting his research into everyday substances and their effect on gut health in the average person.
"With the majority of adult Americans paying attention to what they are putting in their body now more than ever, there's never been a better time to add Dr. Lindemann's expertise to the Foundation," said Christine Cochran, executive director for the Grain Foods Foundation. "His groundbreaking research has produced practical, evidence-based advice that can prevent disease and improve lives, and we look forward to working with him to help provide accurate information on gastrointestinal health to both the nutrition community and the public."
As a researcher who seeks to identify how dietary changes can impact the gut microbiome and human disease, Lindemann is equally excited to work with the group to help educate Americans on how they can prevent disease by improving gut health.
"It's an honor to be joining the Scientific Advisory Board," Lindemann said. "What we eat can drastically influence our health, and I'm excited to be working with the Grain Foods Foundation to get the word out on how a healthy gut microbiome can help support a healthy life."
Dr. Lindemann joins the current members of the Scientific Advisory Board:
- Glenn Gaesser, PhD (chairman), professor of exercise science and health promotion and director of the Healthy Lifestyles Research Center at Arizona State University
- Siddhartha Angadi, PhD, FACSM, assistant professor at the University of Virginia, research assistant professor at the College of Health Solutions at Arizona State University, and fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine
- Pamela Cureton, RD, LDN, Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition at the University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Angela Ginn-Meadow, RD, LDN, CDE, senior education coordinator at the University of Maryland's Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Dyan Hes, MD, owner and medical director of Gramercy Pediatrics in New York City
- Julie Miller Jones, PhD, LN, CNS, professor emeritus at St. Catherine University
- Richard D. Mattes, MPH, PhD, RD, distinguished professor of Nutrition Science at Purdue University
- Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, DBA, MS, RD, LDN, founder of Hispanic Food Communications
- Bruce Young, MD, Silverman professor of obstetrics and gynecology at New York University School of Medicine
For more information, visit grainfoodsfoundation.org.